VSA’s purpose is to design for a better human experience. As a strategy and design agency, we blend consumer insights and data with human-centered design to activate meaningful, motivating and measurable experiences in an increasingly noisy world. With offices in Chicago, New York and San Francisco, VSA offers a full range of fully integrated capabilities—branding, advertising, data science and technology—all under one roof. VSA is also a proud member of Meet The People, an international family of unified and independent agencies. For more than 40 years, we have delivered solutions for business and creative leaders at some of the world’s most respected brands and forward-thinking organizations, including Google, Nike and IBM.
VSA provides brand and marketing audiences with meaningful content and communications that solve clients’ business problems. Across multiple forms, media and channels, we unite the art and engineering of content—strategizing, concepting, structuring, crafting, adapting, publishing, and measuring while igniting brands to life with language.
The Freelance Writer creates programmatic content work for one of VSA’s key clients and will be embedded in their business with other VSAers.
To be considered for future opportunities, please ensure you align with the following:
- Take a production role in editing and developing content to meet clients’ needs.
- Think visually as well as verbally, contributing from the outset to the structure, look and feel of a client project.
- Translate client needs and interact closely with designers to create and refine content for a chosen design direction, identifying alternative message strategies for achieving clients’ objectives.
- Absorb, understand and write compelling copy to clearly explain complex technical concepts. Responsible for technical and grammatical accuracy in all materials.
- Think beyond individual projects and collaborate directly with clients and develop programmatic solutions to content needs.
- Manage multiple content work-streams and writing projects within a client program.
- Perform effectively at concepting, group brainstorming, writing placeholder copy, and working both independently and collaboratively.
- Collaborate in the development and definition of the “voice” for a client, a program or an individual project.
- Establish and/or interpret brand positioning, tone, and attributes.
- Demonstrate use of logic in structuring content, and offer the creative team strategic thinking and knowledge of business and marketing principles.
- Interact effectively with clients and their client staff members to obtain background information.
- Contribute and edit creative or strategic briefs presented to clients.
- Contribute to solutions for sensitive or difficult client issues in conjunction with the Engagement Lead and Project Manager.
- Participate in creative presentations to clients, and lead content strategy and development conversations.
- Use design knowledge to improve design direction and project management of internal resources.
- Observe and manage deadlines.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
The Freelance Writer should:
Know the subject - Absorb complex technical/technology information (research reports, input docs, background material) and distill it into appealing, clear language.
Be proactive - Dive in and root around to find stuff. Initiate and sustain communication with strategists, marketers and subject matter experts to discover, collaborate and forge content.
Be agile - Agile team experience helpful.
Be on brand - Become familiar with new Client brand guidance for copy tone/language/restrictions, registration marks, etc.
Know workflows - Know working methods for digital and protocols for editing and production. Work with developers to ensure clear processes for versioning and corrections.
Stay cool - Work well under pressure/deadlines.
- 7+ years of experience in Writing for enterprise-level brands.
- An undergraduate degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Advertising or Integrated/Strategic Communications. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in a client-facing role.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong vocabulary, expertise in English usage, and comfort with multiple and often complex writing assignments, styles, and disciplines.
- Ability to understand and explain complex technical concepts within the Health Analytics space.
- Ability to focus on user priorities and needs in structuring content, and to offer the team strategic thinking and knowledge of business, brand, and marketing principles.
- Ability to articulate and be effective in presenting and explaining writing choices.
- Ability to achieve the rapid realization of deliverables and outcomes, with strength in observing and managing to deadlines.
- Ability to interact at all levels of the company and with external parties in a professional manner maintaining effective communication, both written and spoken.
- Skills in complex problem solving, judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Ability to be versatile and handle multiple projects and re-prioritizations.
- Ability to organize information, prioritize, have attention to detail, and accurately follow procedures.
- Ability to maintain self-motivation and to work independently in team environments.
- Some evenings and weekend work may occasionally be necessary.