This job is no longer accepting applications.
New York Focus is seeking contributing reporters who will semi-regularly produce and publish high-quality, hard-hitting investigative stories, as well as shorter stories following up on those investigations, focused on New York state and city politics.
An ideal candidate would share the enthusiasm we bring to this work and be excited to help build and shape New York Focus. This position is remote, but the ideal candidate lives in or near New York state.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and clips to email@example.com.
About New York Focus
New York Focus is an independent newsroom covering state and local politics, committed to unmasking the operation of public and private power in the Empire State.
In our first nine months, we’ve published investigations of New York’s politicians and power brokers, explainers on under-examined legislation and political processes, and perspectives on nascent popular movements and organizing. Our stories have moved policy, been referenced in state legislature and city council hearings, and been cited by publications including The New York Times, The New Yorker, The Intercept, and Politico.
Our core beats include the state budget and economic policy; climate and energy; housing and homelessness; immigration and labor; and incarceration and criminal justice.
Responsibilities for the position are as follows:
- Generate original ideas for 1-3 hard-hitting, investigative pieces a month in New York Focus’ coverage areas.
- Work with editors from pitch or commission to publication, often including multiple rounds of edits.
- Promote your pieces through social media and other available channels.
- Build relationships with sources beyond the scope of an individual article
The ideal candidate would have:
- Excitement about investigative journalism that promotes accountability in New York State and City.
- Demonstrated aptitude in reporting in-depth stories.
- Demonstrated ability to uncover information beyond what sources readily say; a nose for where to dig!
- Superb writing ability, including close attention to clarity of prose.
- Willingness to work collaboratively and build strong working relationships with editors.
- Familiarity with the New York media landscape, potentially including relationships with sources in any or all of our coverage areas.
$800 per investigative article. (Rate may be lower for less intensive follow-ups and other shorter stories.) Articles demanding exceptional effort will receive additional compensation. Contributors are not restricted from writing for other publications.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter, please explain why you want to work with New York Focus, how you could help improve our journalism, and what values and strategies characterize your reporting process.
Consistent with federal, state, and local law, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, or other protected category.
We are committed to an inclusive workspace, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color who are excited about contributing to our mission.
Your application has been successfully submitted.