Newsletter Writer, New York Magazine
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform. Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
The Editorial team is at the core of everything New York Magazine does. Our team strikes the perfect balance of content that’s smart and funny so that our readers know everything they need to know to navigate urban life and the fast-moving culture, whether that’s politics, culture, food, shopping, or style trends.
The newsletter writer will be the primary author of an ambitious new daily email that analyzes the events of the day with a lot of humor and a distinctly New York lens. They should be able to handle, with sophistication and style, the nuances of Eric Adams' actual home address, the excitement of America's intergenerational office warfare, the horror of climate change, and the drama of YouTube skin care influencers.
This role will be an integral part of a small team creating a high-profile, habit-forming editorial product, and play a significant role in determining its tone and format. The right candidate should be equally comfortable writing a broad, clarifying overview of a major event and identifying unique, funny micro-angles into the news of the day. They will have a distinct voice and sense of humor, be capable of writing about a wide variety of subjects, and have a vision and enthusiasm for the possibilities of the newsletter medium. Their ambitions for a daily newsletter should include creating a product that is urgent yet avoids feeling dutiful, and that rises above the noise of daily coverage.
What you’ll do:
- Be the chief writer for the magazine’s flagship daily newsletter, mostly focused on commentary and analysis, but occasionally including some original reporting.
- Collaborate with New York editors and writers to develop newsletter features, sections, and rubrics.
- Develop a system for tracking upcoming events and topics that should be covered in the newsletter.
- Schedule and commission contributors pegged to news events and during coverage gaps.
- Contribute to additional editorial projects as assigned.
What you’ll bring:
- The ability to work independently and quickly
- Strong, sharp writing skills and news judgment
- A distinct, lively sense of humor
- Understanding of the New York Magazine sensibility
- Significant experience writing on a daily deadline
- Familiarity with newsletter analytics, production, and best practices a plus, but not required.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.