Freelance Content Editor
This job is no longer accepting applications.
If you've been daydreaming about editing for some of the canniest writers and the most remarkable publications in the business, you're in the right place. Chatty is now hiring creative freelance editors and pro writing coaches to join our fast-growing global editorial community.
We'll match you with hand-picked clients you'll love working with, give you the chance to show off your expertise and help writers tell their best stories, and — most importantly — we'll help you grow your clientele and expand your skills.
What we offer:
- Match with clients you love: You choose the industries, content types, and editing styles you want to work in. We'll match you with writers and publishers from across the globe looking for exactly what you offer.
- Push your creative limits: Build valuable relationships with writers, publishers, and content managers who trust your expertise and guidance — so you can help them write with confidence.
- Show off your talents: Customize your Chatty profile with your background, services, and portfolio, or publish your writing on the Chatty blog to boost your visibility — and your income.
- Choose your workload: Take on one-time editing projects whenever you need an income boost — or use Chatty to build your entire freelance business. You're always in control of what, who, and when you edit.
- Grow your income: Set your own project fees, or work with our in-house services team to match with clients who need your expertise. We're fully remote, so you get to work how and when you want, making Chatty the perfect complement to your existing freelance client base or your in-house content or editorial role.
- Share in the Crew's success: On top of your freelance income, we share a portion of our profits with our crew of freelancers. The more you contribute, the more you earn.
What we're looking for:
- Professional editorial experience: You have a proven track record of successfully editing long-form editorial content. In-house, agency or freelance are all fine, and we don't mind how many years you've been in the business — but you must have experience working in editorial, not just as a writer.
- An eye for detail: You should have a demonstrated ability to guide writers across structure, style, coherence, and clarity (and, for bonus points, SEO), balancing feedback with encouragement to bring out the best in every story — and in every writer.
- A range of expertise and interests: No matter whether you specialize in editing for software companies or soft-serve carts, you have a passion for your field — and the knowledge to match.
- Motivation to help: You can communicate why you're editing something, not simply fix mistakes. We're more than just a glorified spell-checker — our editors also act as both teammates and teachers, helping writers find the right words and improve over time.
- Familiarity with common tooling: You should be comfortable working in Google Docs, Google Drive, popular blogging platforms, and other common industry tools.
- A willingness to adapt: You'll join us on the ground floor, helping shape our community culture, editorial processes, and growth potential as we aim for the top together.
Ready to join the Crew?
Right now we're taking on a select group of freelance editors as we launch our service and marketplace. To find out how you can become a part of the Chatty Crew, visit chatty.so/crew for more information and to start your application!
Your application has been successfully submitted.