This job is no longer accepting applications.
Campfire Labs is a content marketing agency that helps brands like Dropbox, Asana and Stripe tell stories that inspire. We’re a mission-driven company that puts people first, and we donate 50% of our profits to climate action.
We're always looking for experienced writers to work with us. To that end, we've created this space so folks who are interested in writing on a freelance or contract basis—as part of our team, but not full-time—can apply to work with our editorial crew and growing roster of clients.
Please note that we review applications for this role on a rolling basis. We'll aim to get back to you within a few weeks (maximum) of submitting your application. However, response times may be slower depending on seasonality, current need for additional team members, and other factors. We will get you a response, one way or another—it just might be slower than an application for a full-time role.
All this said, if you're interested, here's a little more about what we're looking for!
Our freelance team members:
- Write content for our clients, including digital books, survey reports, articles, podcast scripts, video scripts, and ghostwriting projects
- Revise content based on feedback from internal editors and client stakeholders
- Schedule and conduct interviews with subject matter experts (SMEs) as needed, including clients, customers of clients, and external sources
- Track their time on a per-project basis to help us understand which projects are taking up the most bandwidth
- Acquire a working knowledge about our clients, their products or services, and the audience(s) their content is written for
There are also opportunities for our freelance team members to grow into full-time Staff Writers, if they wish. That said, we're open to working with folks with different availability. If you have no interest in going full-time, that's fine! But if you'd be open to exploring it in the future, as we continue to grow, that'd be great, too.
What we’re looking for:
- Freelancing experience: This isn't your first rodeo: you've freelanced before (or done something similar), and have the long-form writing and organizational skills to prove it.
- B2B, SaaS, and marketing experience: Nearly all of our customers are in these fields. Having written for one or more of these areas in the past will help you get up to speed much faster.
- Interviewing experience: You’re comfortable independently conducting interviews to drive your writing. You know how to draft questions that will give you the information you need, and how to structure stories around the answers.
- Openness to feedback: You’ve worked closely with an editor in the past, and understand how feedback makes your writing better.
- Excellent organization: You can independently manage multiple writing projects at once. You should have some familiarity with project management software (we use ClickUp).
- Kindness: Our team is built around a shared value of kindness: to each other, to our clients, and to the rest of the world at large. We look for this value in everyone we work with.
How to apply:
Click "Apply For this Job" on our website and fill out the form on the next page to apply. We only need your application, writing samples, and answers to the questions listed—no cover letter or long forms required.
With regards to your writing samples, we’re looking for a few links to B2B, SaaS, or marketing work that you’ve written in the past. These should be examples of your best work. Feel free to also include a portfolio, if you have one, but the specific examples will make it easier for us to review your application.
Our team values passion, kindness, and curiosity over titles or formal accolades. So if you’re on the fence about applying—especially because you think you lack all the qualifications—please go for it.
Again, please note that we review applications on a rolling basis, and you may not hear from us for a few weeks after submitting your information. If you have questions after you've applied, please reach out to Nicole Kohler, Operations Manager, and she’ll be happy to lend a hand.
We’re excited to hear from you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.