Freelance News Writer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
The Root, the leading online source for African American news and opinion at G/O Media with more than 8 million global monthly readers, is looking for a Freelance Staff Writer whose primary focus will be covering breaking news, politics, and social justice through the lens of the multi-layered and complex African American experience.
The ideal candidate will have a deep and passionate knowledge of covering the news of the day, breaking news, crime, social justice, politics, and race in a way that is relevant to our news-hungry audience. They must be skilled as clean and quick writers who can turn a phrase as well as make you think, all while maintaining The Root’s fun and critical editorial voice. This candidate must also be quick, hardworking, creative, and adept at turning out content at one of the fastest-paced companies in media.
Who You Should Be:
- Someone with a strong understanding of The Root’s voice and brand
- Someone with several years of experience at a print or digital outlet, ideally with news writing experience (reporting experience a plus)
- Passionate about breaking news or politics, but even more passionate about storytelling and educating audiences at where these issues intersect with race, gender, and LGBTQ+ issues
- A writer with strong news judgment and the ability to respond quickly to cultural and current events with appropriate stories
- Someone who is comfortable turning out a great deal of work, and can balance daily reviews with larger breakout features
- Organized, detail-oriented, ambitious and comfortable at a website with a massive audience
To apply, please submit a resume/cover letter about why you’re the right fit for the job and what sports you are most interested in covering, and answers to the questions below.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Your application has been successfully submitted.