Freelance Technology Writer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
As a freelance writer zdnet.com, you’ll craft original content covering a range of IT trends, issues, and events. Examples of topics we cover include:
- What, exactly, is cybersecurity?
- How do I get a job in IT?
- Computer and information systems managers: A career guide
Our writers craft tightly-written, expert-driven copy for current and aspiring students and professionals in the computer science field. We aim for concise, accessible copy informed by first-hand knowledge. Freelance writers with experience or expertise writing about the technology sector and computer science education are highly encouraged to apply. We also encourage writers from academic backgrounds to apply.
ZDNet freelance writers are capable of reaching diverse audiences, with a keen understanding of how information and ideas are received by learners from all backgrounds. We appreciate prior experience in journalism or higher education, or expertise in one or more academic fields.
Here are some examples of the content we produce:
- Best IT certifications for all career stages
- Ways to advance your technology career
- How to become a video game developer
A good fit would be someone who has worked as a career counselor, recruiter, or at the university level and/or has significant practical experience in the technology and/or computer science field. Empathy for the educational path of nontraditional and international students is valued; excellent writing skills and attention to detail are required.
Previous bylines or a portfolio strongly preferred, but we also consider ghostwritten pieces; advanced degrees preferable but not required; certification or licensure in their field also desirable.
- Write blog articles according to an in-house style guide
- Adhere to in-house guidelines for branding, tone, and voice
- Adhere to sourcing and fact-checking guidelines
- Format articles based on guidelines and best practices
- Respond to feedback from copyeditors
- Education, certification, or training in computer science, information technology, database science, or technology OR related professional experience
- Relevant professional experience as a freelance writer
- A commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strong sense of appropriate style, voice, tone, and content flow
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- Strong grasp of fact-checking and sourcing standards
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude
Please note that at least two writing samples and/or a link to your writing portfolio is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will be unable to respond to every applicant.
Your application has been successfully submitted.