Expert Mental Health & Wellness Writer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Verywell Mind, a top health site that offers trustworthy and compassionate mental health information, is looking for new writers!
The Verywell family of brands (including Verywell Health, Verywell Fit, and Verywell Family) is a top 5 health publisher and helps more than 30 million people each month to feel better and be healthier.
About the Role:
As a freelance writer for Verywell Mind, you will write new content that helps our readers find answers to their most pressing questions and concerns about everything from mental health disorders and online therapy to relationship advice and actionable coping strategies for everyday well-being. We strive to create content that is high-quality, inclusive, compassionate, and supports all readers on their mental health and self-improvement journeys.
Our mental health writers should have a solid background in one or more of the following coverage areas: mental health conditions (depression, bipolar disorder, addiction, PTSD, etc.), self-improvement, relationships, psychology, mental health topics specific to LGBTQ+ and BIPOC groups, and other relevant topics.
Pay range per article is typically $100-$400, depending on length.
You will be expected to:
- Create new evergreen articles that are well-written, thoroughly researched and sourced, comprehensive, and properly formatted to engage our readers
- Submit articles to staff using our content management system (CMS)
- Work closely with Verywell Mind editors to apply our editorial and SEO best practices
- Meet monthly contract requirements and regular deadlines
- Accept assignments from editorial staff, and occasionally pitch new article ideas
- Have and develop expert sources that provide context and perspective to the content you write
- Have a strong command of your topic areas and a willingness to learn more
- 3+ years of work experience as a mental health writer for a consumer audience
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to creatively approach evergreen topics and pitch original ideas
- Commitment to writing accurate, clean copy with original sources
- Experience gathering original quotes from mental health experts
- Strong editorial skills and keen sense of what content works well online in the mental health space
- Firm grasp of SEO best practices and how they factor into quality content
- Preferred, but not required: A health or medical background, proven by credentials (e.g. MD, PsyD, MPH, LMFT, LCSW, etc.)
Please include your resume and published samples of your writing with your application.
BIPOC writers are strongly encouraged to apply.
Your application has been successfully submitted.