Freelance Writer for Film Project
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Tower Ballroom Director /Writer Commission
Bertz Associates and Curiosity Productions are seeking to commission a writer and director skilled at co-creation community practice to collaborate with us on a community film project to share the sport's history of the Tower Ballroom & Edgbaston Reservoir, uncovering untold narratives and sharing a more representative history of the area.
We will work with a group of young people from Ladywood on a series of creative sessions, with local filmmaker Yonatan Tiruneh at the center of the project. The group of young participants will work with the creative team to explore and share the sport's history of the locality through a film or series of film dramatisations of the stories we uncover about this fascinating place.
The Tower hosted the first black British boxer who won a world title, the first British female roller-skating record holder started her career there, Muhammed Ali visited the Reservoir and countless boxing matches & dance & gymnastic competitions were held there. We will be celebrating moments of sporting history in the city’s past.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for either one artist who is a writer and director or two artists to take each of those roles. The key to this project is a collaboration between the creative team and co-creation with the young people. The writer and director will work with the young people to develop their own telling of this local heritage, collaborating with filmmaker Yonatan Tiruneh to create dramatic films or visual stories.
We are interested in receiving proposals from people that:
- Are writers, directors or have skills in both of those areas
- Have some understanding of the process of making a film (and the different approach this requires to making a piece of theatre)
- Have a collaborative approach to making work
- Have experience of working with young people, ideally with a co-creation approach
- Have a cultural heritage that is representative of the local community of Ladywood that we will be working with. We are particularly interested in hearing from people who identify their heritage as African, Caribbean, Lantinx, South Asian, East Asian, South East Asian or Middle Eastern.
Writer £800 (for approximately 4 days/ 8 half days including planning time)
Director £1200 (for approximately 6 days/ 12 half days including planning time)
Combined Writer/ Director fee £2,000
Estimated Project Start: 1st March 2022
Estimated project end: 31st August 2022
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a short cover letter or a film or audio file of no more than 5 minutes outlining how your work and practice fits with our project. Please state:
- Why you would like to work on this project with us
- Whether you are a writer, director or have skills in both of those areas
- What understanding or experience you have of the process of making a film (and the different approach this requires to making a piece of theatre)
- How your approach to making work is collaborative
- What experience you have of working with young people, ideally with a co-creation approach
- Let us know if you have an up to date DBS
Deadline to apply: 5pm 25th February 2022
Please send your application to: Sea Osuji, Project Assistant : firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information: Sea Osuji, Project Assistant : email@example.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.