Freelance Travel Writer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Tortuga is seeking a freelance travel writer to help our readers take better trips.
The pandemic devastated the travel industry. The last two years have been difficult for the industry and for those of us who love to travel. But we can see a post-pandemic travel boom on the horizon. Will you help us get there?
Tortuga is a small team where you can develop both your writing skills and your freelance career. When we find a good fit, we tend to work with that person for a long time. The pandemic forced us to cut back on our writing. Until 2020, we had been working with three of the original writers we had hired for six years.
As a writer for the Tortuga Blog, you will share your packing and gear expertise with our readers and customers, your fellow travelers. You will write about what to bring and how to pack it. You will not write about destinations or things to do or see. We write exclusively about packing and gear.
Learn more about working at Tortuga.
Tortuga is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and encourage anyone who is interested in joining our team to apply for open roles, even if you aren't certain that you're qualified. Our top priority is hiring the right person for each role at Tortuga. We want to hear from you.
- Upcycle, i.e. update, 4 existing articles per month in Wordpress with current information and to match updated brand guidelines. (A basic familiarity with Wordpress is required.)
- Write 2 new articles per month based on requests from us and approved pitches from you.
- Meet deadlines with high-quality, on-brand writing. We don’t have the bandwidth for significant editing and rewriting. So we need writers who submit quality work that’s ready to publish. (However, we’re not a content farm. We’ll work together to set a reasonable publishing schedule to produce great articles without burnout).
- Optimize each post for SEO—including title, headers, body copy, and URL slug—before submitting for publication. We can provide guidance before you start writing but expect you to know and use SEO best practices.
- Matching Brand Voice: You can match Tortuga’s brand voice and write as a knowledgeable, well-traveled friend offering advice. You write clearly and concisely. You are never snarky, snobbish, or trying to be funny. Your writing would fit well in a guidebook or Wirecutter review.
- High Standards: You hold yourself accountable to a high standard of work. Your writing is on brand, SEO-optimized, and delivered on time, every time. As a freelancer, you are running a small business (just like us) and expected to deliver on your commitments. Both of Tortuga’s founders spent years as freelancers, so we understand the business.
- Written (Internal) Communication: Everyone on a remote team must be a strong writer. We have calls but communicate far more often in Asana, email, Slack, and Google Docs. You must be able to communicate clearly and concisely in writing.
Do Not Apply If...
- You aren’t excited about travel. Our team is passionate about the problems we work on every day and our mission of making travel easier and more enjoyable. If you can’t write thousands of words every month about packing and gear, you aren’t a good fit.
- You need the structure of working at a big company. We are a small, remote team. You must be able to complete your work and submit it on time without anyone pestering you.
Read Before Applying
The following articles are supplementary reading. The first link will help you get an interview. The rest are meant to give you insight into why and how we work this way and the other perspectives that have influenced our thinking.
- Pay per article to be negotiated.
- Work From Anywhere: Tortuga is 100% distributed. Work when and where you want. You can join the team regardless of where you’re based.
- Free Gear: All the bags and accessories you need for your travels.
Your application has been successfully submitted.