Freelance B2C Product Copywriter
We’re looking for a few good freelance apparel and footwear style writers.
Freelance B2C Product Copywriter - Style
~10-15 hours/week for about 4 weeks, starting Oct. 10.
Potential for continued part-time, contract work after that.
We’re looking for a few good freelance apparel and footwear style writers to help us turn dry benefits and features into powerful little product stories that connect with sport-minded and fashion-conscious consumers. This project will run for about 4 weeks, with potential for future work, and our ideal candidates can devote 10-15 hours a week during the course of a project.
As a freelance style writer for Thread, you’ll be part of a large team of editors, proofreaders, researchers, project managers and fellow writers who are there to support each other, answer questions, swap good gifs, provide useful feedback and correct each other’s copy for salt.
Our team does all the organizing, scheduling, editing, proofing and project management – and some of the research and detective work. We’ll look to you to also do your own original research to incorporate solid sport, cultural and social references. We work in a web-based writing tool (that is one thousand times easier than working in Excel spreadsheets), so that’s where you’ll be tapping in all your writerly gems. The B2C content we deliver is about 300 characters, and we generally expect these to progress at 3 per hour. You’ll also be asked to incorporate feedback and revisions to any in-progress and delivered work as needed. Experience with ecommerce copywriting is a bonus but not required.
The writing is fun, regular and predictable — perfect for writers who love the freedom and flexibility of freelance life, but could use a little more financial stability and control over their schedule. Thread is located in Portland and Hood River, Oregon, but our freelancers can and do work from anywhere.
Things that should sound fun and interesting to you:
- Creating honest, effective, brand-right product copy from client guidelines and legal and brand direction.
- Digging deep into esoteric topics (like what laminated mesh feels like or what makes a high-end designer collab cool) to get to the heart of what it is you’re trying to describe.
- Spending 10-15 hours a week writing about footwear, apparel and accessories.
- Developing a gut-level loathing of promotional marketing-speak and writing clichés.
- Weekly team check-ins and close communication.
You’re able to:
- Work with Microsoft suite tools and Google Drive, and learn a variety of new software and tools, like Thread’s own web-based, interactive writing tool, Talkoot.
- Be a detail-oriented, creative and efficient copywriter who will rely largely on data and information in Talkoot and large PPT presentations.
- Have interest and knowledge on our cultural, sport and fashion landscape.
- Follow-up on a lack of information from the client, but also be confident to proceed with a less-than-ideal amount of information (this is where we expect you to do your own research).
- Join occasional meetings, deliver weekly check-ins with feedback incorporation and meet weekly delivery deadlines, and turn around occasional 24-hour copy update requests.
- Know when to hit the pause button for clarity and quality.
- Learn and use an interactive time management tool and an instant messaging platform.
- Communicate changes in your schedule as soon as possible.
We ask for a commitment for the length of the project once you accept the work. Here are key time commitments:
- research+writing: 10-15 hrs/week
- occasional online team meetings, usually in the mornings Pacific Time
- weekly writing check-ins, due Tuesday
- weekly writing deadlines, Sunday nights
A bit about Thread:
Thread is a small yet mighty writing studio based in Hood River, Oregon, with folks in Portland and other cities. We specialize in verbal identity, narrative branding, content marketing and copywriting. Over the past 10+ years, we’ve helped a bunch of brands tell their stories, including adidas, Burton, Carhartt, Danner, KEEN, Reebok, Rossignol, Smith, Tofurky, Twitter and lots more.
- fun, regular and predictable writing work
- the freedom and flexibility of freelance life
- training and support throughout
- 10-15 hours/week, depending on our client’s needs
- relatively steady work for 4 weeks
- $45/hour compensation, including training and meetings
- invoices paid monthly
- potential for recurring, seasonal freelance work
Thread’s building a more diverse team
Thread is an equal opportunity workplace. We bring our weird, wonderful, whole human selves to our work. We will rely on your unique voice, background and perspective to help us create better work and a stronger team.
If this sounds exactly like you (or 80% like you), please apply using this online application and include samples of relevant work and/or writing style. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.