Freelance Script Writer
A better planet with every search - Ecosia, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 20 million users have planted over 170 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for an English-language script writer who can work with our marketing team on a freelance basis to write and edit organic video scripts for our YouTube channel. This includes documentaries, vlogs, and character-focused impact stories in both long and short form.
As a freelance writer, you’ll be working with our Executive Producer on established formats, but you will also have the opportunity to pitch new ideas. Our content revolves around tree planting, climate change, politics, and more. We’re looking for someone with experience in writing captivating video stories that hold viewers’ attention and compel them to act for the climate.
YOUR AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE
- Experience as a copywriter for video (online, organic, and non-fiction).
- Experience in research and fact-checking.
- Ability to copy and edit video scripts.
- Native-level English writing skills.
- Keen interest in and knowledge of online platforms and new media.
- Knowledge of industry trends, esp. relating to YouTube content.
- Ability to follow Ecosia’s TOV guide and adapt writing style accordingly.
- Ability to communicate complex topics in an accessible and entertaining way to a given audience.
- Knowledge of content marketing tactics and strategies.
- Professional organizational and communication skills.
- SEO knowledge.
Our YouTube community is growing, dedicated, and engaged. Some of our videos reach more than a million people, changing their minds and hearts — and actions. This is an opportunity to help us tackle the climate crisis through video storytelling, helping people understand Ecosia’s impact on nature and people around the world and helping them imagine a better, more just future.
This role is remote-friendly as long as you’re available between 10 AM-5 PM CET.
We’d love to hear from you! Apply through our online form and include a short cover letter and your portfolio. Selected candidates will go through one interview with our Executive Producer and the content team before getting started.