At Concrete Playground, our mission is to connect people to the best cultural experiences around them.
Purpose for this role
We’re looking for a talented writer and editor to steer the day-to-day direction of Concrete Playground’s organic content in Auckland and Wellington, and to help build our brand presence and footprint in New Zealand.
The Freelance Editor will have great instincts for finding the strongest possible angle and most engaging headline, and will deftly deliver news stories, writing and sharing them in a timely manner so they have maximum impact when they find our audience.
This role will initially be equivalent to three days per week, which can be taken as three full days, or spread across five days.
Reporting to the Editorial Director, you’ll steer Concrete Playground’s editorial output in New Zealand. This involves:
- Writing and editing fresh, relevant, informative and audience-first digital content, and publishing this to our website, social media and e-newsletter channels.
- Fastidious sub-editing of all content, making images, text, video and links work together as a happy whole.
- Maintaining a network of contacts that you can tap into to stay on top of the latest in what’s happening in Auckland, Wellington and beyond.
- Juggling news with multiple competing deadlines so all content is delivered in a timely fashion to our readers.
- Dreaming up new feature ideas, commissioning editorial and photography work and building up Concrete Playground’s talent pool as needed.
- Technical competencies: Experience working with Wordpress, SEO and analytics tools. An advanced knowledge of social media and best practices. A highly proficient sub-editor with a good visual eye.
- Cultural competencies: As someone who closely follows the news and inherently understands the cultural landscape of cities, you’re passionate about the things we're passionate about: food, drink, arts, culture, technology, travel, lifestyle and urban affairs.
- Professional competencies: A creative and strategic self-starter, you’re highly organised and comfortable working remotely (joining regular newsroom meetings with our Australian editorial team).
Sound like you?
If you think that you’re the right fit for the role and you’ve had 3+ years experience working as an editor in digital media, we would love to hear from you.
Please send your application to Concrete Playground's General Manager via firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the following:
- A cover letter
- Your CV/resume.
- Links to (or PDFs of) three samples of your work.
- A brief paragraph explaining how you would drive forward Concrete Playground’s editorial agenda in New Zealand.
- Three ideas for things you would do differently if hired as Freelance Editor, NZ.